- Все рубрики
- For men
- For women
- English for kids
- Business english
- Nota bene
- Word play
- Сultural differences
- The UK
- Success story
Which Idiom to Use at the Party? / Idioms
1. Two women are talking about another woman who just walked in the room. One woman says, “Look at her, she must be poor because of the way she is dressed.” What is your response?
• You hit the nail on the head
• The grass isn’t always greener on the other side
• Never judge a book by its cover
• A closed mouth doesn’t get fed
2. You heard a man telling his friend, “I cursed my boss out, knocked everything in his office over and stormed out. He then fired me.” You answer –
• You made your bed, now you must lie in it
• You added fuel to the fire
• Actions speak louder than words
• Time heals all wounds
3. A woman said, “My sister wants me to visit her for the holidays, but my friend wants me to visit her too. What should I do?”.
• Drastic times call for drastic measures
• Don’t count your chickens before they’ve hatched
• Blood is thicker than water
• The early bird gets the worm
4. A woman is talking about her son and says, “I have done everything I could to get him a job. I’ve set up interviews for him, I took him to job fairs, and I even offered him a job at my business. No matter what I do, he just won’t work!”
• You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make him drink
• The early bird gets the worm...
Продолжение читайте в журнале English4U №12 (декабрь 2010) на который можно подписаться или купить здесь.